application process

We participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Six PGY-1 positions are available each year. For consideration, your application must include at least three letters of recommendation, your school’s Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), a personal statement, and your scores on USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.

Interviews with select applicants are held on Wednesdays and Thursdays from October through January. The interview day includes an overview of the program, a tour of the Olive View-UCLA medical center, and interviews with both faculty and residents. Applicants will have the opportunity to meet current residents throughout the interview day, including at lunches and at an informal happy hour.

Applicants are welcome to return for a second look after their interview day if they would like to further explore our didactics, training sites, and daily resident schedule. Please contact the program coordinator or chief residents to arrange your visit.

On occasion, PGY-2 positions are available for applicants who have completed all California licensure requirements during their PGY-1 year. Inquiries regarding PGY-2 positions should be made directly to the program coordinator.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

UCLA-Olive View participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) and accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).

Do you offer visiting clerkships for medical students?

Yes. We host sub-internships in consultation & liaison, emergency psychiatry and inpatient psychiatry for qualified fourth-year medical students.

When are interviews available?

Interviews with select applicants are held on Wednesdays and Thursdays from October through January.

What is the structure of the interview day?

The interview day comprises an overview of the program, a tour of UCLA – Olive View Medical Center, and interviews with both faculty and residents. You will meet numerous current residents throughout your interview day and be provided with lunch.

How many positions are available?

Seven PGY-1 positions are typically available each year through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Applicants with prior postgraduate training are encouraged to contact program coordinator Jeannie Weber to inquire about available positions.

How do I apply if I am a foreign medical graduate?

If you are a foreign graduate, you may apply through ERAS. Ensure that your application includes:

  • Evidence of successful completion of USMLE Steps 1, 2CK and 2CS.
  • Three letters of recommendation from university faculty members who are acquainted with your clinical skills, either because they worked with you in an internship, externship, clerkship, 5th pathway, or equivalent experience.
  • Evidence of completed ECFMG certification.
  • A postgraduate authorization letter from the Medical Board of California (also known as a California Authorization Letter).

Note that you must have graduated from your medical school within the past ten years, and that we do not provide work visas in our residency program.

I'm interested in research. Does this program have opportunities for me?

Our program encourages residents to participate in research with faculty specializing in their area of interest. Faculty research interests are broad and include, to name just a few, neuroimaging, suicide, and women’s health. Basic research methodology is also integrated into clinical training and didactics.

I have an interest in psychotherapy - is additional training available?

Our program emphasizes psychotherapy training during all four years of residency. Beginning in the PGY-2 year, residents manage their own psychotherapy clinics where they apply knowledge acquired from the curriculum and learn to use various psychotherapy techniques. Further training is available through several local psychoanalytic institutes based in the Los Angeles area.

Where do residents choose to live?

Residents live all over Los Angeles. Many choose to live in the San Fernando Valley area, close to the site of our outpatient clinics. Others live in Pasadena, West Los Angeles, Hollywood, Echo Park, Culver City, or near the beaches – the options are numerous.

What is the cost of living in Los Angeles?

It varies widely based on the geographical area. While the Westside (Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Westwood) can be quite expensive, neighborhoods in the San Fernando Valley (Sherman Oaks, Encino, North Hollywood) or on the Eastside (Echo Park, Highland Park, Silverlake) offer more affordable housing. Los Angeles is generally cheaper than San Francisco or New York but more expensive than most other U.S. cities.

Is moonlighting available?

Yes! Residents licensed by the Medical Board of California and the Drug Enforcement Administration can, with the approval of hospital staff and program administration, earn extra income from moonlighting.

What do graduates go on to do?

Most residents take positions in private, academic, or community psychiatry upon graduation. Many pursue further training through fellowships. We are planning to introduce ACGME-accredited subspecialty fellowships, including addiction psychiatry, in the near future.

I have a specific question about your program. Who should I contact?

Please contact our program coordinator, Jeannie Weber, via email or by phone at (747) 210-5656.


Contact Us

Feel free to reach out to us.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt